Which Marvel movies have NOT included Stan Lee cameos, and why?
I recently saw Fantastic Four 2015 and I noticed that it did not include a Stan Lee cameo.
As I thought about it, I think that the:
- 1989 Captain America movie.
- 1990s Fantastic Four B movie.
- Howard The Duck.
- the various Punisher movies.
- the 1940s Captain America short films
might be examples of other Marvel movies that did not include Stan Lee cameos.
So what determines whether or not Stan Lee does a cameo? And what is the list of Marvel movies which did NOT include a Stan Lee cameo?
I know that Fantastic Four is produced by Fox and is not part of MCU, but I am imagining that there is more to the answer than just that.
Notably, the Fantastic Four B-Movie was never intended for broadcast. It was just a rights grab.
Is it really spoiler worthy to hide information about which movies have Stan Lee cameos?
@Richard, "Notably, the Fantastic Four B-Movie was never intended for broadcast. It was just a rights grab." - Probably the same as the 2015 B-Movie.
According to Yahoo Movies, the list of Marvel films that don't contain a Stan Lee cameo is
- "Blade" (New Line Cinema 1998)
- "Blade II" (New Line Cinema 2002)
- "X2" (20th Century Fox 2003)
- "The Punisher" (Lions Gate Films 2004)
- "Blade: Trinity" (New Line Cinema 2004)
- "Elektra" (20th Century Fox 2005)
- "Ghost Rider" (Columbia Pictures 2007)
- "Punisher: War Zone" (Lionsgate 2008)
- "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" (20th Century Fox2009)
- "X-Men: First Class" (20th Century Fox 2011)
- "Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance" (Columbia Pictures 2012)
- "The Wolverine" (20th Century Fox 2013)
Obviously this isn't complete because, as you've pointed out, it doesn't include
- Howard the Duck (1986)
- Captain America (1990)
- Man-Thing (2005)
- The Punisher (1989)
- X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)
and a host of low-budget serial films from the 1940s and 50s
What seems to determine whether he gets a cameo is whether he cares about the characters, whether he's offered one by the Director and whether the studio overrides the Director.
“One of the losing battles regarded Stan Lee’s original cameo in the film. Originally, Gunn had planned to have Lee in one of the Collector’s exhibits. Groot would then look at the exhibit aghast, to which Lee would flick off the large tree creature.”
- Guardians of the Galaxy Director James Gunn
Perhaps the more appropriate question would have been "which marvel movies **have** included Stan Lee cameos and why?