What are the advantages and disadvantages of becoming a vampire?
Before I decide whether or not I wish to become a vampire, I'd like to know what I have to deal with.
Will I have to stay out of the sun? Will having garlic in my inventory hurt me? I'd also like to know all the benefits I have.
Also, will certain races behave differently as a vampire? I know kahjiit can see very well at night, so that'd be a bonus if I have to stay out of the sun.
- 9 years ago
Unfortunately (or fortunately), you don't sparkle, and Anna Paquin isn't instantly attracted to you. There are other perks and drawbacks that might offset that, though:
- Immunity to disease, and any disease you contracted will be cured
- Immunity to poison, and any poison you contracted will be removed
- 25% boost to Illusion spells cast
- 25% harder to detect while sneaking
- 25% boost to frost resistance per stage of vampirism (to a max of 100% at stage 4)
- Special, vampire-only powers (see below)
- Your face transforms into something only a mother could love; NPCs will comment about it, too
- NPCs will attack you on sight once you hit stage 4
- No magicka, stamina, or health regeneration during the day
- 15 point reduction to magicka, stamina, and health during the day per stage of vampirism (to a max of 60 at stage 4)
- Weakness to fire increases by 25% per stage of vampirism (to a max of 100% at stage 4)
- Cannot become a werewolf, and lycanthropy will cure vampirism
- Must feed periodically to maintain lower-levels of vampirism, which is a real hassle and is considered a crime
As mentioned above, vampires get a set of powers and abilities in addition to their bonuses:
- Vampire's sight — 60 second night vision; no cost, no cooldown
- Vampiric drain — drain life, 2 health per second
- Vampire's servant — Reanimate level 6 or lower corpse; 1 day cooldown
- Vampire's seduction — mob level 8 or lower won't fight or flee for 30 seconds
- Vampire's servant now works on level 13 or lower corpses
- Vampiric drain now drains 4 health per second
- Vampire's servant now works on level 21 or lower corpses
- Embrace of the shadows — Invisibility and night vision for 3 minutes; 1 day cooldown
- Vampiric drain now drains 5 health per second
- Vampire's servant now works on level 30 or lower corpses
Reading over this again, by 25% boost to stealth, do you mean 25% boost to sneak?
@MrSmooth Yes, that's correct. Fixed.