What do the PCB markings mean?

  • On a printed circuit board, I see lots of tiny letters and numbers. Is there some kind of standard that dictates what letter indicates what type of component?

  • jeep9911

    jeep9911 Correct answer

    9 years ago

    The technical term for the markings is "reference designators" (aka "refdes") and there are a few standards can define them. Take a look at this wikipedia page for a quick overview. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_symbol


    enter image description here

    For schematic components, most EDA tools start off with one or few alphabets and then a sequential number. For example, R1 for the first resistor, C1 for the first capacitor, IC1 for the first IC and so on. You can download a free EDA tool such as Eagle to play around. Also, see the wikipedia page for a few more examples.

    For PCB footprints, different vendors do make naming convention suggestions. See Altium's suggestions here, for example.

    Edit: I do NOT know anyone personally that refers to this as a strict standard or a standard at all. It's mostly what you are used to and familiar with.

  • The standard which I think is most commonly used for symbols/reference designators is ANSI/IEEE Std 315 (1975). It has been revised a couple of times since but the basics have remained pretty much the same.
    You need to be a subscriber to download it.

    I have a copy here on my machine, here is an example of the first few letters:

    (see also U and 22.2.4)
    electronic divider
    electronic function generator (other 
    than rotating)
    electronic multiplier
    facsimile set 
    field-polarization amplitude 
    field-polarization rotator
    general circuit element
    positional servomechanism
    sensor (transducer to electric 
    separable assembly
    separable subassembly
    telephone set
    telephone station
    amplifier (other than rotating) 
    capacitive termination
    fixed attenuator 
    inductive termination
    isolator (nonreciprocal device)
    resistive termination
    barrier photocell
    battery cell
    blocking layer cell
    photovoltaic transducer
    solar cell
    capacitor bushing

    A flag states that the answer has been downvoted because it's incomplete. I understand that you've not completed it because you're quoting this copyrighted work under the Amount and Substantiality Fair Use exception. I'd upvoted you before the downvote or flag, your net rep is +18 for this answer. This, in my opinion, is the correct answer to the question. You might mention IEC 60617, but they're basically the same AFAIK.

    Ah, I see. As you guessed it's intentionally incomplete - I just quoted a small part to give an idea of the detail the standard goes into.

  • In addition to that, you will also find other markings on the PCB. These are done by the fab house and are used to show UL certification numbers, UL standards that the PCB conforms to, sometimes showing RoHS compliance, and sometimes even a logo of the fab house. These can be done in silkscreening process, or anti-soldermask processes.

    You can look up UL cert numbers here: http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/index.htm Fill in the UL file number with the ~7 digit number on the PCB to find who actually fabricated it.

    -1 I was talking about the markings next to the components

    @kinokijuf, this is an equally valid answer to the possible source of markings on a PCB and I could see a marking like this show up next to a component. Why the downvote for a valid yet less directly correct to your question answer?

    @kinokijuf, note I said "In addition to that..." as an extension of other markings you find on a PCB.

  • Yes, there is, but its not really a standard, everybody simply does it more or less the same way.

    • IC? stands for an IC
    • R? stands for a resistor
    • C? stands for a capacitor

    these are the "names" of the component. the boardmaker then has a kind of list where is written what name stands for what component, e.g. R1 - Resistor, 100Ohms
    here is a more complete list: http://www.electro-tech-online.com/circuit-simulation-pcb-design/112835-component-designators-pcb-design.html

    On all PCB I’ve seen, ICs are marked as U.

    well, as I said, there is no real standard. but yes, U is much more common

    I can confirm, I hav a board in front on me with "IC"notation

    I use 'IC' on my own boards. My PCB software uses 'U' by default, I keep meaning to change it.

    I think that historically, 'IC' was/is found on British PCBs whilst 'U' is found on US boards. Likewise for transistors, 'Tr' used to be common in Britain but the American 'Q' designator has largely replaced it.

    U is "undefined", which what got used for ICs when they first became available. They are common now, so it makes sense to give them their own designator. I use IC in all my schematics.

    It is really a standard, or rather a set of standards: IEC 60617 and ANSI standard Y32 (aka IEEE Std 315). See Oli's answer for an excerpt.

License under CC-BY-SA with attribution

Content dated before 6/26/2020 9:53 AM