What is the rind of Brie cheese made of?

  • We were eating brie cheese last night, and someone asked if the rind was edible.

    I was tempted to say "yes, it's not plastic". But then I realized that while it doesn't look like plastic or wax, I really have no idea what it's made of.

    Is it chemical? Is it organic? Maybe fungus or bacteria? In that case, what kind (and would eating too much of it be unhealthy)?


    I've seen the question Are you supposed to eat the rind of Brie cheese?, but none of the answers mention what the rind is made of.

  • vwiggins

    vwiggins Correct answer

    8 years ago

    The rind of Brie is Penicillium Camemberti it's a completely harmless fungus which gives brie its taste. You can eat it, or not, up to you: you are supposed to.

    If it smells very strongly of ammonia the cheese is just a bit too ripe but it won't do you any harm.

    Interesting. I would have never thought it could be *penicillium*. I wonder if it could affect people with allergy to penicillin. Edit: after a quick google search it seems there are many cheese eaters allergic to penicillin that have no symthoms when eating *cammembert*, *brie*, or blue cheeses.

    What an interesting question......... ok after a couple of mins googling it looks like the two allergies (to the mold or antibiotic) are not related

    @vwiggins, yeah, thankfully the only thing the two share is the name. Otherwise I'd be breaking out in hives every time I ate Brie.

    @Marti: penicillin is called like that because it is produced by members of the Penicillium genus.

License under CC-BY-SA with attribution


Content dated before 6/26/2020 9:53 AM