Why am I getting this "Connection to PulseAudio failed" error?
I have a computer that runs Mythbuntu 12.04. It has an external USB Kenwood Digital Audio device.
When I open up pavucontrol, I get this message:
If I do as the message suggests and run start-pulseaudio-x11, I get this output:
$ start-pulseaudio-x11 Connection failure: Connection refused pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused
How do I correct this error?
@DrSAR: I get absolutely no response from that command. It immediately returns to the prompt.
@William: I added the results when executing start-pulseaudio-x11 to the question.
@BrunoPereira: I followed the instruction. The ~/pulseverbose.log is kind of huge, though. How should I upload it?
The solution to this problem was discovered in the course of solving my other problem, with Pulseaudio and Flash.
First I needed to completely purge and reinstall Pulseaudio. One way to do this is to run the command:
sudo apt-get --purge --reinstall install pulseaudio
Then, after I had a clean start, I discovered there was this odd entry in
/etc/pulse/client.conf. It had a line that said:
autospawn = now
It seems that
nowis not a valid option. I have no idea where that option was coming from, as I thought I was starting fresh after reinstalling.
I changed it to
yes, and then commented it out as well anyway.
; autospawn = yes
Rebooted, and then I was able open
The lesson I took from this is that purging an application might not be as complete as one would assume it to be.
Someone discovered HOW that `autospawn = now` ended up there? Could it be another instance of sabotage in Linux? 20 upvotes to a mysterious "not valid option installed as default" is, at least, very strange, isn't it?
I'm assuming you've tried deleting ~/.pulse/* and restarting the sound server?
Your second option is to check /etc/pulse/client.conf in /etc/pulse, as suggested in the warning. Make sure everything is set to its default value by commenting out every line with a leading semicolon.
Finally, it could be related to this bug. The work-around here was to start pulseaudio in system mode, by changing the value of PULSEAUDIO_SYSTEM_START in /etc/default/pulseaudio to 1. This will prevent pulseaudio from loading 'default.pa' in your /etc/pulse folder. If this fixes your problem and you are on a multi-user system so don't want to continue running pulse in system mode, then edit your post with the contents of default.pa. Otherwise, just leave it fixed. I don't really see the problem with running it in system mode on a single-user system.
Thanks for responding. I've deleted ~/.pulse/* and restarted the sound server. I set PULSEAUDIO_SYSTEM_START to 1. I've set everything in etc/pulse/client.conf to be the default value. I've rebooted after every change to ensure they took hold. Unfortunately, none of them have fixed the problem.
It's my pleasure. What model is your audio device? Do you get sound at all out of it, or is it just pavucontrol which are giving this error?
Deleting ~/.pulse and starting pulseaudio fixed my problem - when I was inserting my USB headset (Logitech G35) it caused the built in speakers to be removed from the devices list in the sound manager as well as not working itself.
etc/pulse/default.paand try commenting out all these lines:
.ifexists module-jackdbus-detect.so load-module module-jackdbus-detect .endif
Run the steps again and check the log for changes, if possible give use another output.
If that does not work remove
rm -r ~/.pulse rm -r ~/.pulse-cookie rm -r ~/.config/pulse
There might be errors reported that files could not be found. Thats ok. Then we kick pulse and start it again:
sudo pulseaudio -k pulseaudio --start
There too errors might be reported like:
E: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: Home directory not accessible: Keine Berechtigung W: [autospawn] lock-autospawn.c: Fehler beim Zugriff auf Autostart-Sperre. E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Failed to acquire autospawn lock
But after a reboot it worked for me. Pavucontrol is running fine since then again.
The above steps helped me for an issue in Fedora where a bluetooth headset was immediately disconnecting every time after connection, with error about ad2p protocol being unavailable. Thanks so much @Peterling!
I received this
"Connection to PulseAudio failed"error when there were different values of the
pulseaudioserver was running with one value, and
pavucontrolwas running with a different value. Consequently,
pavucontrolwas looking in the wrong directory for the communication socket created by
In this case, the solution is to make sure both processes have the same value for the