Formal Title for Someone with a Masters Degree?

  • We all know that someone with a doctorate is called a Doctor (or abbreviated as Dr.), is there a formal title for someone with a Masters degree? I've never heard someone refer to a person with a masters as "Master". I've also heard that Esquire is sometimes used as a formal title for someone with a masters, is this correct or is there another title?

    In Italy, from the bachelor's degree on, we are all doctors, just with a different qualifier, but those with a master's degree in engineering are commonly titled _engineer_, even if this title should be in principle reserved for those who have passed the exam to enter a professional society. So, for instance, I have a PhD but no one calls me doctor. Actually no one calls me engineer either. Luckily, because I hate titles.

    I don't think "Master XX" is used in academia... Used in Star Wars though :)

    In The Netherlands in Dutch, you would be *Drs.*

  • CKM

    CKM Correct answer

    5 years ago

    In the United States there's no formal pre-nominal title held by individuals holding a Master's degree that I know of, so it's very unlike Dr. Xxxx that one holding a Ph.D., etc. might be addressed. In text, you would address such a person with a post-nominal suffix like M.A., MBA, etc. I'm sure the logic is different among specific types of degree, where Esq. for Esquire is a post-nominal suffix for those in the legal profession in the US. To give you an example, though: If I hold an M.Sc., you might refer to me as "Kendall, M.Sc." if you wanted to address me in an email or letter, but I would realistically expect Mr. Kendall or what have you face-to-face.

    I should also add that courtesy titles like Esq. or Mr., and academic titles don't get used at the same time. Kendall, Esq. M.Sc. would be wrong, as would Mr. Kendall, M.Sc.!

    *at the same time* ... In Germany, one can be addressed: Herr Professor Doktor Schmidt. And if he holds two doctorates, Herr Professor Doktor Doktor Schmidt

    As a counterpoint, in Spanish speaking countries (or at the very least in Mexico) it is customary to use M. en C. (for Maestro/a en Ciencias), or its equivalent, as a pre-nominal title.

    As a counterpoint, in Québec, it is illegal to use the Dr. prefix for someone with a PhD. Only Doctor es medicine are allowed, PhD can still use Dr., but it must be after your name.

License under CC-BY-SA with attribution

Content dated before 6/26/2020 9:53 AM