How can one differentiate between Dr. (PhD) and Dr. (MD or DO)?

  • Reading the question posted here left me with a more general question:

    Given the professional title and name: Dr. (First Name)(Last Name), is there some way to differentiate between the holder of a philosophical doctorate and a medical doctor? Wouldn't it be more appropriate for a PhD holder to have the title (First Name)(Last Name), PhD?

    You basically can't. Medical doctors study for their basic degree almost the same time as anybody else for their post-graduate degree. You simply use Dr for both. (But I'm not quite sure, that's why I only comment in this manner. If someone knows for sure, go ahead and answer the question!)

    Of course, you can ask "What are you a Doctor of?"? Just be sure you are being respectful while doing it. Better yet: "What is your doctorate?

    The title Doctor derives from its use for PhD holders; it is therefore entirely appropriate for PhDs to use it.

    In some countries medical docs use 'Dr. med' and other doctors don't use their title much.

    Note that in some countries a PhD is not required to be called "Doctor". for example in Italy you get the title of "Dottore" (literally Doctor) when you get your bachelors degree. In other words: don't trust titles of people that aren't from a country you know, cause it could mean a completely different thing than what you thought.

    @Bakuriu: And other people just make it up as stage names. Dr Fox immediately comes to mind, as does Professor Green as a linked example. Never take anything for granted.

    When I earned my PhD in mathematics my grandmother told her friends that I was a doctor, but not a doctor doctor.

    You also have doctor of chiropractics which is not a philosophical or medical doctorate. Is that the quickest shortcut to being called a doctor?

    Easy. They dress differently.

    @Ant This is *exactly* my classification scheme at conferences.

    As someone with a PhD where there are MDs around and customers are from the world of MDs I avoid Dr and put PhD as a postfix. However, the idea that the title Dr is more appropriate for an MD than a PhD is not appropriate. The MD title of Dr is honorary and historic, it's actually *earned* by doing a PhD. Many MDs also hold a PhD so it becomes problematic distinguishing. Ultimately Dr is a title like Lord it doesn't say what someone does. I wouldn't pretend I can do open surgery on someone, but I can talk about molecular biology at a deeper level than many medical doctors working in genetics.

  • You can't immediately tell from the title, but then titles are not typically used by an individual to broadcast their occupation - we don't have variants of "Mr" for plumbers, bank managers, or rock stars - despite their very different occupations. Rather, the title is to be used by others when addressing that individual, in order to signify a degree of respect, typically for a particular level of training, qualification and responsibility, or else for a particularly respected position in society. Even the term "mister" is a meaningful sign of respect that historically would not have been as widely applied as it is today - the ratchet of etiquette has gradually eliminated everything below it.

    The actual title "Doctor" means "teacher" (from Latin "doceo", "I teach"). This title is more often more relevant to PhDs than MDs, so you probably have your suggested solution backwards. That said, the solution is really neither necessary nor appropriate. Much like "Master" (from Latin "magister", in this case "teacher"), "Doctor" signifies that an individual has not only gained enough competency to practice in a particular field, but has developed enough expertise to instruct others. An individual who is sufficiently qualified to practice but not teach would historically have been known as a "journeyman", roughly equivalent to "professional".

    In short "doctor" refers not to a field of expertise, but rather to a level of expertise.

    Incidentally, most UK surgeons drop their title of "Dr" and revert to "Mr" after joining the Royal College of Surgeons. I've heard through a friend of at least one surgeon who reacted quite angrily at being addressed as a mere "Dr", which in such circles, due to a collision between traditional titles and modern medical training, could be unkindly translated as "trainee".

    I think the Mr should be spelled out after joining the Royal College of Surgeons ie. Mr.Smith -> Dr.Smith -> Mister Smith

    @user288447, do you have reference? I can't find anything on that.

    Unfortunately not, it may just have been convention in one hospital that I was in several years ago.

  • You can't. That's why there are numerous jokes in English-speaking culture about whether someone addressed as "doctor" is a "real" doctor or not. Medical doctors are supposed to be the "real" ones in the jokes.

    Regarding the jokes, I recently heard introducing a speaker (MD) in a conference "and then he became a real doctor when he did his PhD in...".

    Also: 'not that kind of doctor'

    Well, you could technically look at his degree on the wall :P

    According to;fn=doctor&ln=smith&mn=&city=&state=, there are 2 people named "Doctor Smith" in the US. Do they have PhDs or MDs? I don't know. Their first name is Doctor.

    @Emory: Following the example of Major Major, they should enroll in a university and see if a computer error will summarily grant them a doctorate.

    Ironically, it is *neither* MD's, nor PhD's that are the true, original "*Doctors*", but rather DD's. Though try convincing anyone of that today ...

    @RBarryYoung: What is a DD?

    DD is Doctor of Divinity.

    Umm, I'd say the MDs aren't the real doctors... (ducks before being flamed!)

    To the people who reviewed my suggested edit: I wanted to add it as a comment, but at the time I did not have sufficient reputation. I also don't see how it deviates from the initial answer. the intent was to build on the "You can't." part of the answer.....................original edit/post: " That's why whenever someone is presented/introduced, especially in writing, it is as "Dr. Joe Smith, MD" or "Dr. Joe Smith, PhD". They are differentiated by putting the type of degree at the end of their name."

    @TrishLing, you added nearly as much content to my answer as there was originally. That's generally not done around here.

    @Bill Bart, of course, your answer is very short, as was my comment/answer ( they are approx. the same length really, 2 sentences each). What did you expect? I did not mean to offend or anything, but as I mentioned earlier, I did not have the ability to comment at the time, but I wanted to add to to your answer....what should I have done? Can you really say it was a bad edit/comment? I don't necessarily say it was wrong to reject the edit, but I do think your reason for rejecting it was erroneous, as it did not deviate from the original answer- in fact it added to it.

    @TrishLing, by adding the paragraph to my answer, most readers will think that I wrote it. You should have added your paragraph as a separate answer. It's not that your words were wrong, they just weren't mine.

  • In the United States, in spoken address, both are called "doctor."

    For personal correspondence, both are addressed as "Dr." as with an invitation addressed to "Dr. and Mrs. Smith." (Or maybe "Dr. and Mr. Smith." If they both hold doctorates, it is "Drs. Smith." For a couple with different family names, use "Dr. Smith and Mr. Brown.")

    For professional correspondence, both are addressed by name and degree, as "James Smith, M.D." or "Bob Brown, Ph.D."

    Since the distinction is only relevant in professional interactions, there really isn't any ambiguity.

    If you are speaking to a medical doctor professionally, you will know it by the setting, and you still say "doctor." If you ask for medical advice at a cocktail party because someone was introduced as "doctor" you deserve anything you get! I've been known to say, "I'm a college teacher type doctor, not a take-off-your-clothes doctor." That usually sends the message and often gets a laugh.

    I am not a medical doctor, but I often work in hospital settings interacting with both patients and medical doctors so the setting is not always informative.

    I know a microbiologist and a physicist who work in a hospital. Their degrees appear on their ID badges, as do those of medical doctors.

    This was edited by "Anonymous" to introduce irrelevant commentary about women taking husbands' names. The commentary on the edit also incorrectly stated that more women than men earn doctorates. In the United States, at least, that is incorrect. From the 2014 SED: "Overall, women earned 46% of all doctorates in 2014."

  • I have seen the difference in the written form of their name;

    One is Name Family, PhD. and other one is Name Family MD.

    The same applies to the people holding Engineering doctorates such as Name Family, EngD. or holding doctorate in business such as DBA. Also, in different countries there are usually different doctorate titles (link) awarded.

    But all of these people are called doctors.

    I've seen it for dentists too. `Name Family D.D.S`

    @jonescb just look at the link provided in the answer, you can see more than twenty doctorate titles for different countries and different majors...

  • A medical practitioner usually holds a MBBS or MD degree or similar and - at a reasonable level of proficiency - membership of a professional body such as the AMA ( American Medical Association) or the RCP ( Royal College of Physicians) or whatever applies in their part of the world.

    A holder of an academic doctorate ( PhD, DrPh, EngD etc) has researched a topic or problem within their specific subject in sufficient depth to have generated fresh insights or made a breakthrough or contributed significant new knowledge to the existing corpus.

    Both have earned the right to be addressed as 'Dr'.

    However, it would appear to me that one or two posters have been watching a few too many episodes of 'The Big Bang Theory' as I think the need to differentiate between the two very rarely applies except in a medical emergency.

    In hospital settings where patients may be interacting with both medical doctors and academics, there is a need to differentiate.

  • The usual practical solution is "ask them."

  • While both have the title of "doctor," that is identifying the fact that they both have the same education level, a doctorate.

    The meaningful difference here is occupation: one might be a professor, the other a physician.

    To differentiate between the two you can use the actual doctorate type or the job title:

    • My professor is Dr. Jones. (or) Dr. Jones teaches my class.
    • My physician is Dr. Smith.
    • Indiana Jones, Ph.D.
    • Joe Smith, M.D.

    Of course a physician could also be a professor (who teaches in medical school?), or an M.D. might be a researcher who does not treat patients as their primary means of income (i.e. they only deal with patients during the course of medical studies). I do not think you can do much about those cases.

  • In Germany, it is common to denote the subject area the doctor was obtained in, such as Dr. med. for medical doctors, Dr.-Ing. for engineers, or Dr.-rer-nat. (rerum naturalium) for sciences like chemistry.

  • Doctor means you have a doctorate. Simple as that, a medic can have a doctorate in medicine and thus be a doctor, but if you do not have the degree then you are not a doctor, you can be a surgeon or a licensee of medicine but you are just referred to as doctor out of colloquial use of the title based on historical rots and customs.

  • There is no difference in spoken address ('Doctor'), but one is a Ph.D. and the other is an M.D.

License under CC-BY-SA with attribution

Content dated before 6/26/2020 9:53 AM